Hi - new here - my intro

Rate this topic

Hi, I just found this site. I'm 30 years old and am from West Virginia. I just started painting recently, despite the fact that I can't even draw. :rolleyes: I've never really been interested in art, as in, creating things, because I've never considered myself particularly creative let alone talented. I always have enjoyed taking pictures though since finally getting a cheap digital camera a few years ago. Well anyway, I will put my paintings up for sale on eBay as I get a few more completed. But for now, the first place to see what I've done and find newly completed pieces will be on my web site. Generally, my themes are along the lines of surreal, freaky, bizarre, gothic, horror and other dark stuff, although I'm also just another 'crazy old cat lady' and so I'm painting portraits of my cats now. laugh.gif But anyway, I'll leave the direct link to my gallery below.

(Link deleted due to the fact that it is now "broken"

- smb 2012/03/30)

• Root Admin

Hello - and a very warm welcome to artfreaks.com! biggrin.gif

I see you already have a very nice website of your own - but I do hope you will be able to post some examples of your art here too...

I was very interested in your page about your process and tips:

- smb 2012/03/30)

I like this one:

...Secondly, acrylics don't dry out in 2 nanoseconds like the other how-to-paint sites will have you believe. They do dry fast, but you have a few minutes to work with. I'm not using a pallate (sp?) of any kind either. I just started using these Chinese food containers lined with plastic wrap, and they're apparantly air-tight because I can leave a painting for several days, come back to it and my paints are still as wet & workable as if I'd just squeezed them from the tube. I guess you just gotta find yourself a Chinese delivery place that uses these little air-tight plastic containers.

It's a great idea! Keep your acrylics workable for days - and save some money in the process!! :good:

By the way, I am still trying to figure-out a way of collating all these tips and allowing members to rank them for usefullness. If anyone knows of an off-the-shelf software package that would allow me to do that, please do let me know...

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

Kahit Kailan, Kaibigan!! (Friends Forever!!)

smb - Walang Katulad!!! (San Miguel Beer - There is nothing like it!!!)

• Root Admin

Another quote from your Process and Tips page:

- smb 2012/03/30)

...of course I'm sensitive about not being able to paint those photo-reallistic details and sharp lines like you'd expect of a high resolution photo. But a lot worse passes for art. Sometimes the paint is just splatted on and it's considered a great work of art. I don't get it and I don't claim to. So I've got my friends telling me that they could never paint anything, and that's BS, because anyone can. It doesn't have to be as crisp and clear and as detailed as a photo.

Have a look at my gallery of pastel paintings:

http://www.artfreaks.com/forums/index.php/gallery/album/97-some-more-recent-pastel-paintings/

Not exactly what you would call photo reallism, right?!! Believe-it-or-not, I started almost all of those, (except for the more recent ones,) with the intention of painting as lifelike a scene or portrait as I could physically manage. They all ended-up looking like cartoons but hey! I really like them and I enjoyed doing them!!

Now I don't even make any attempt at painting photo-reallistic images. I just go with the flow and let my subconscious dictate how the painting will come out. When I am really in the mood, I can even go into a kind of trance-like state. Wow! That is so fulfilling I can't even explain how satisfying it is!

I am completely at ease with the knowledge that my paintings will never be perfect and I don't even make any attempt to achieve perfection... And I simply couldn't care less if I never even seel a single painting - not even at a car boot sale!!! Whenever my house has got too cluttered-up with all of my paintings, I have invariably given them away. I have never had any problem getting rid of them and the smile on peoples faces tells me that they like them.

That's enough for me!! smile.gif

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• Root Admin
Hi, I just found this site. I'm 30 years old and am from West Virginia. I just started painting recently, despite the fact that I can't even draw. :rolleyes: I've never really been interested in art, as in, creating things, because I've never considered myself particularly creative let alone talented. I always have enjoyed taking pictures though since finally getting a cheap digital camera a few years ago. Well anyway, I will put my paintings up for sale on eBay as I get a few more completed. But for now, the first place to see what I've done and find newly completed pieces will be on my web site. Generally, my themes are along the lines of surreal, freaky, bizarre, gothic, horror and other dark stuff, although I'm also just another 'crazy old cat lady' and so I'm painting portraits of my cats now. laugh.gif But anyway, I'll leave the direct link to my gallery below.

Good luck with selling your art.

I like it - and I think a lot of other people will do too!

By the way... feel free to advertise any of your art for sale here at artfreaks.com

You can post images in the forums. You can also post images of your art for sale at:

http://www.artfreaks.com/forums/index.php/gallery/album/284-paintings-for-sale/

And, of course, you can create your own albums in the members area of the Forums > Gallery

Happy painting - happy posting - and happy selling!! biggrin.gif

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• 2 years later...

Hey there!

Just 'cos you don't think you are good at drawin'/paintin' don't mean you should not do it and enjoy it! 'Tis all part of the fun! I'm quite interested in your styles so I'll be checkin' out your gallery for sure. "crazy old cat lady" eh? HA! I approve! Do love cats myself so I'll have to check out the images of your moggy's you've created!

Please, if you get he chance check out my stuff and let me know what you think!

Cheers. :3

"The more things change... The more they stay the same..."

blarf1.jpg.36fb8bc47d792c0d6ea16aea5d2f0ebf.jpg