Opinions On Dealing With Commercial Galleries.

Rate this topic

Lately I have read some articles on people dealing with commercial galleries. I have not had, nor will I likely ever have much, dealings with these places. I am hoping that someone will take time to comment that has had experience in this field.

What I am understanding, that since most galleries look at paintings merely as commodities, artists are beginning to more and more bypass the galleries for alternative methods of sale of their paintings. I understand that the gallery gets from 50 to 90 percent of the selling price depending on how desperate the artist is to get his paintings in front of the public. The lesser percentage is from artists that are in the "click" group the gallery usually deals with. A group that is hard to break into.

Another negative was that most of the artists that submit to a large gallery are turned down.

Another side that I have been listening to is from people that have been sales associates of large galleries. They speak of the pressure to make sales and to sell anything to anyone that can afford to buy without being the least interested in the fact of what the customer actually likes. They are also encouraged to qualify a persons abilities to buy immediately.

If these and other high pressure tactics are truly used, and it is a rather uncomfortable atmosphere, we may see more customers looking for paintings for enjoying and investment using the internet. This may put artists at more of an advantage.

Understand that these statements are purely my humble opinion on what seems to be an existing situation.

Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Papadan

http://www.papadanart.com

Welcome to my humble, little art offering to humanity located at http://www.papadanart.com

• Root Admin

I'd love to have my own little art gallery. But it would be more of a free coffee shop for friends, rather than a commercial enterprise... I can't even cover my costs with websites - let alone think about making any money out of a physical art gallery.

I love art galleries in Manila. The ones I have been to have friendly staff/owners and they are relaxing places to visit - and I've never been presured into buying anything.

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

Kahit Kailan, Kaibigan!! (Friends Forever!!)

smb - Walang Katulad!!! (San Miguel Beer - There is nothing like it!!!)