My journey into painting

Rate this topic

smb

• Root Admin

I was recently asked by a friend on the bobongbooks.com forums for some help in getting started with painting. This request reminded me that it is high-time I got some more stuff for beginners on artfreaks.com... So I decided to start a new thread here to help budding artists overcome their shyness and inhibitions - and give it a go!

I am very much a beginner myself, so my aim with this new thread is really to share some of my experiences and, hopefully, give one or two other people some tips and encouragement to help get them started in their own art-making. First, I'll share some of my thoughts and some of my own experiences in getting started with painting in pastels. Then my plan is to do a upload a few of my own artworks at various stages of their development - just to give you some idea of how I develop my work from initial drawing to final completion.

If any members have any similar contributions to add to this forum, that would be really great! You can upload your images in the artfreaks.com Forums - Gallery, then use the "Insert Image" button to insert your images into your post on the forums. Feel free to add your replies to this thread or, if you prefer, by all means start a new topic!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

Kahit Kailan, Kaibigan!! (Friends Forever!!)

smb - Walang Katulad!!! (San Miguel Beer - There is nothing like it!!!)

• Root Admin

OK! Here is my first contribution on the subject!

Watch this space for some uploads of the various stages of my next art projects. 'Tell you what... Even if they come out as rejects, I'll bung them in anyway - just to prove that I am not shy!!!

Painting is really easy - especially with pastels. It's probably a good idea to at least get some confidence in drawing before you try to start painting. The great news is that, as proved by 'Yours Truly', anyone can draw!!

I didn't actually realise this until I read The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards.

If you can get hold of a copy and work through the book, I can virtually guarantee that it will give you the confidence to get you started - and you'll be amazed at your own results!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

OK... Here's my current project:

med_gallery_5_30_125496.jpg

I'm not going to describe every step in detail here, as I have already done-so with the descriptions to the images that I have uploaded on my new member's album: Have a go!

You can see the first of the recent uploads in that album by clicking on the image above, which has an embedded link in it.

The painting is not yet finished, as I write this but I promise to upload the final results - no matter how embarrasing they may turn out!! :blush:

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• Root Admin

med_gallery_5_30_47166.jpg

And the finished product.

(To see the painting at various different stages during it's making, click on the image above, which links to the "Have a go!" album, which is one of my Members albums at the Forums > Gallery. There is a thumbnail 'filmstrip' underneath the intermediate images...)

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• Root Admin

Here's my latest attempt at a pastel portrait:

med_gallery_5_30_151692.jpg

You can click on the image, above, if you want to see the various stages during the making of this painting - together with some comentary on what I was doing and what I was aiming for...

Not quite perfect, yet - but I feel that I am getting there! I was reasonably happy with this one. Even though the face ended up a little unsymetrical, (it wasn't intentional!); at least I could see something of the girl in the finished painting...

I'm trying to refine my pastels - but without losing that naive quality about them.

Who know's? One day I might be deliberately painting big eyes and lop-sided faces?!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::yahoo::rolleyes::P:crazy::acute:

Cheers!

:yahoo::drinks::rolleyes::D:)

And a have a great New Year!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• 1 year later...

pastel can be a challenging yet joyfull medium...I am no professional (maybe one day) nor a critic of any definition, but may i share my experienes and tips with you, i notice the shade and highlights on your face are quite defined in contrast with the normal skin tone, try layering th colors befor you blend, and dont be afraid to use black with a color in the shading, you would be surprised how subtely it shows, while still making an enourmos impact

Keep up the good work!!!

Here's my latest attempt at a pastel portrait:

med_gallery_5_30_151692.jpg

You can click on the image, above, if you want to see the various stages during the making of this painting - together with some comentary on what I was doing and what I was aiming for...

Not quite perfect, yet - but I feel that I am getting there! I was reasonably happy with this one. Even though the face ended up a little unsymetrical, (it wasn't intentional!); at least I could see something of the girl in the finished painting...

I'm trying to refine my pastels - but without losing that naive quality about them.

Who know's? One day I might be deliberately painting big eyes and lop-sided faces?!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::yahoo::rolleyes::P:crazy::acute:

Cheers!

:yahoo::drinks::rolleyes::D:)

And a have a great New Year!