• Root Admin

Let's hear about some of your favourite books!

Just to kick off this topic, here are a few of my own personal book recommendations:

First on my list:

1421: The Year China Discovered America - by Gavin Menzies

I found this to book to be quite startling. 'Very interesting though, and a thoroughly good read...

I know that some people in the Western World aren't too happy with the notion that the Chinese had been to many far-flung places around the world, long before the great European explorers - but this book does provide some quite thought-provoking evidence to the contrary. It seemed pretty well-researched to me, anyway. The book is well-written and, if nothing else, it certainly provides a new perspective on world history and some highly interesting reading.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. This may not be "Gospel". Not yet, anyway... But I, for one, tend to think that Gavin Menzies is on to something!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

Kahit Kailan, Kaibigan!! (Friends Forever!!)

smb - Walang Katulad!!! (San Miguel Beer - There is nothing like it!!!)

• Root Admin

Here are two of the best books that I have ever read:

Both of these are highly recommended for anyone who is interested in reading about India.

A Suitable Boy - by Vikram Seth

This is one of my favourite books ever. I would love to be able to read this again if ever I have the time... A real epic... So if like me, you are not a particularly fast reader, it may take you some time to get through... The book was a gripping read, page by page. It had to be, otherwise, I would never have finished it! The book is written in perfect, impeccable English - which is a real tribute to the author in itself. The novel gives a good flavour of the Indian subcontinent. It is also a very poignant love story...

White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India - by William Dalrymple

Oh, what a great read! Another one for my "read again" list before I get too old!

This is one of those lovely, big fat books that just holds you from page one, right to the end. It's a kind of historical novel, set in India during the early days of the British presence in the sub-continent. I found White Mughals to be a very interesting read, with a lot of fascinating detail and description, vividly bringing to life those exciting times in the history of both Great Britain and modern day India. The plot is, apparently, based on a true love storey - which makes it even more interesting for an old romantic at heart, like myself! :)

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• 13 years later...
  • Root Admin

Catch 22, The Choir Boys and, of course, Lord of the Rings are three more of the unforgettable books that I have read in my life.

All of these are due for a re-read when I get old and retired - and I have the time...

(Or, before - if I ever master the art of speed reading!!)  :rofl:

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)