don't know where to start...

Rate this topic

hi... i'm new here... i really need advice...

i am a chemical engineering graduate...i took up this course for 7 freakin' years and didn't make it to get a license....i've been working for almost four years now as a pollution control officer from company to company and reached to this point of taking the next detour.... my real passion was arts...and still is...but my parents and i don't have the same view of my future 11 years ago...i followed what they wanted me to be but always got them disappointed...now, i came to the realization that i can't deny what i really feel and what i really wanted...i am not happy with my work anymore...although i am happy with my friends - my office mates... i want to pursue my dream of being an artist... i am planning to take up a short course in arts or design as a start but I don’t know what to take first or what to prioritize… as I was googling about creative designs, web arts, photoeditings, 3d and etc, I find myself on panic… where the hell should I start?

What I only know are sketching using a normal pencil, editing photos and tarp at excel..yes on ms excel…and imagining…so how can I possibly learn all these new things fast… I can’t be unemployed for so long because I already have a kid, although my husband is working…

I am on my late 20’s and I am really on a panic… L

please do give me some advice on how to proceed with my life (a little exag ehehehe)…

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

There must be a million people who would like to make a living out of selling their art or photography, for every one who actually makes it. My advice is this...

If you have a good job - keep it! I for one have no sympathy for hungry artists.

Do your art in your spare time. Then you can enjoy it, without having to think about where your money is going to come from.

If you only know sketching, get your pencils and sketch pad out - and get sketching! By all means, take a short course on any other form of art that you fancy.

Have a go! And then share your results here on artfreaks.com

'Yan na lang ang payo ko sa iyo! :D

...Just enjoy your art. And don't try to make a living out of it - unless you have a very kind and patient husband - or a very wealthy sponsor!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

Kahit Kailan, Kaibigan!! (Friends Forever!!)

smb - Walang Katulad!!! (San Miguel Beer - There is nothing like it!!!)

• 1 month later...

This is very similar to my life. I took Engineering because my parents' decision though I was very interested in joining Fine Arts. A lot of people including friends, relatives and professors tried to talk my parents into agreeing. But they were firm. I went off to do engineering and even higher studies in Biomedical engg. Wen I returned, I was idle for a very long time. I knew at that point, when I had someone to support (my mom retired when I returned from melbourne), I decided to work. I didn't start big, I didn't get into IT like the other girls around me. I joined a small firm as a content writer and grew up from there. Today, it's enough money.

When I got married and sunk into the married life, I realized that my life turned monotonous, boring and lonely.

I got back to doing what I love... Painting. I am no professional. But I have enough passion to experiment it all ways. And that's what I am doing now. "smb" is right when he says not to make a living out of art for now. Keep it for your spare time. Share your paintings with friends or gift it to them. This way you'll gain some popularity and motivation. People will give you ideas on how to improve, what you can try and suggest you what they did. This way, you can also identify your area of expertize and become unique. Save up all your art and have an open day sorts, an exhibition maybe.

If you have a family to support, then it would only be wise to keep a regular job. This is all my opinion.

Cheers,

Ashika

http://ashikaprabakar.tumblr.com