smb

• Root Admin

A real artist creates art for art's sake and/or because they enjoy the process, or they just find it therapeutic - not just to make a quick buck. So by extension, real artists ought to be prepared to work for free, (at least some of the time.) And, by further extension, they shouldn't be over concerned when their work gets pirated.

More feathers to their caps!
And if they can't make enough money selling their art, they can always go out and get a real job!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

Kahit Kailan, Kaibigan!! (Friends Forever!!)

smb - Walang Katulad!!! (San Miguel Beer - There is nothing like it!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you make a fair point. I don't mind people using my general photography as long as they attribute it correctly and they are not trying to profit from it. My general work is here at Flickr

However for my gallery prints, I don't put these online at full size as they are strictly limited editions and I can't afford to devalue them for those who collect my work.

Happy new year :)))

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Happy New Year to you too! (Sorry it's a bit late... I only just noticed your reply here. 'Been really busy with work lately...)

Money makes the world go round, as they say... Even with this site, I'd love to keep it completely free for ever more. But there are costs involved and I'm going to have to get a bit more comercial with it if artfreaks.com is ever to become any more than just another hobby of mine. (I wish I could also say the same thing with my art... But that's why, as someone once very kindly advised me on another website of mine: "Don't give-up your day job" ...It's pretty crap!) :rofl:

One of the things that I am just trying-out, in order to see if I can get some income from this website, is a new feature in the Downloads module of these Forums. Try it-out! As a Full Member, you should now be able to upload high resolution image files of your general photography - and put your own price on what people would have to pay each time they download a file - (which they could then use for printing their own images for framing at home or in the office or whatever...) This is still very much in its infancy and, (at the time of writing,) I have initially pitched my commission on individual paid downloads at 10%

If you decide to give the Downloads module a try, please do share your experiences/impressions with me...

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)

• 6 months later...
  • Root Admin

I just changed a few settings in the Downloads module:

1) Full Members should now be able to upload files directly, without having to wait for Admin approval

2) It should now actually be possible for Full Members to set a price on their paid downloads. (Needless to say, an Admin can download for free. This is necessary in order to check the file for content/viruses or whatever...) So you might see the odd download showing-up in the stats and start wondering why you didn't get paid for it. If you have files already uploaded, it should also now be possible for you to edit them and set a per download price. Like I said in an earlier post... Let me know how you get on with this...

3) I have reduced the screenshot image maximum file size from 1250Kb down to 350Kb. You will want to keep your screenshots on the small size to prevent them form being used instead of the Full High Resolution Download - which is what you get paid on!

VicRolfe.com

Itaas Mo! (Cheers!)